Eyelid Surgery (Blepharoplasty)
Eyelids Getting in the Way
It’s not uncommon for patients to request eyelid surgery in Houston. As we age, the skin loses elasticity, meaning it can no longer bounce back the way it used to. This is a problem when you combine the constant pulling effects of gravity with the hot Texas sun. For this reason, Dr. Polsen sees many patients who suffer from drooping eyelids caused by excess skin.
Drooping eyelids can make you look older and fatigued, and in some cases they can even affect your vision. Often, this drooping is simply a result of genetics or of the natural aging process. Eyelid surgery is a popular option for anyone suffering from excess tissue or fatty deposits on their upper or lower eyelids. During the course of the procedure, Dr. Polsen will trim away that excess tissue and eliminate those fatty deposits. The end result is a more youthful look—with smoother, younger-looking eyelids—and clearer sights, especially if your eyelids were getting in the way. An Eyelid Surgeon in the Houston Clear Lake Area, Dr. Polsen is available to confidentially consult with you about any personal transformation you might be considering.
To schedule your eyelid surgery, you can contact us online or call our Clear Lake offices at (281) 538-6600 to schedule an confidential consultation.
- Eliminates excess tissue from eyelids
- Improved vision and more youthful look
- Recovery: Generally 7-10 days
Who is a Good Candidate?
The best candidates for cosmetic surgery are always those who have realistic expectations about their final results. Typical eyelid surgery patients are 35 or older, but there are plenty of younger patients with a family history of sagging eyelids who also opt to have this procedure performed. Dr. Polsen will ensure that you will benefit fully from eyelid surgery before moving forward with the procedure.
Good candidates for eyelid surgery will generally have at least some of the following characteristics:
- Excess skin around the upper or lower eyelid
- Excess tissue causing dark circles under the eyes
- Skin that interferes with vision around the upper or lower eyelid
- A desire to see more clearly
- A desire to look more youthful
- Generally healthy enough for surgery
- Uncomfortable with the way that excess eyelid tissue makes you look: sad, angry, or tired when you are not
- Looking for a permanent solution to drooping eyelids or dark circles under the eyes
- Have realistic expectations about what this procedure can accomplish
Eyelid surgery is often performed in a hospital or surgical suite setting, but the procedure generally goes pretty quickly. This means that most patients are in for a couple of hours before being able to return home. Once anesthesia is administered and effective, Dr. Polsen will begin the procedure. Generally, eyelid surgery falls into two distinct categories:
- Upper Eyelid: When the excess skin accumulates around your upper eyelid, surgeons will use an incision that follows the contour of the crease of the upper eyelid. This allows any scarring to be easily hiding by the eyelid itself. Once the incisions are made, the excess tissue is then removed from the eyelid.
- Lower Eyelid: When the excess tissue accumulates around the lower eyelid, the incision generally follows the lower eyelash line. Additionally, a transconjunctival incision can be used. This incision is created on the inside of the lower eyelid, effectively hiding any scarring that might develop. This is an alternative to a more typical incision type.
Your eyelid surgery is a delicate procedure in which Dr. Polsen takes great care to make sure his Houston Area patients achieve their desired results. Eyelid surgery oftentimes involves removal of sagging excess skin on the under-eye area. Dr. Polsen will help determine the best plan for your eyelid surgery. The surgery usually takes about an hour and is typically performed using only local anesthesia or mild sedation. Patients sometimes elect to try injectable fillers during their eyelid surgery to create an overall rejuvenated final look.
It should also be noted that sometimes the eyelids get in the way not because they are drooping, but because a drooping forehead is forcing the eyelids down. In this case, the correcting procedure would be a brow lift. While some of our Clear Lake patients elect to have both procedures performed, Dr. Polsen will work with you to determine which procedure suits your individual face best.
Eyelid surgery patients should experience minimal pain following surgery, but in special cases these side effects can be controlled with a prescription pain medication. Most patients will experience slight bruising and swelling, but it should subside within a week to 10 days. You can minimize your side effects by keeping your head elevated and following Dr. Polsen’s detailed post-operative care instructions.
Results from this procedure are almost always favorable to patients. Indeed, almost all of Dr. Polsen’s Houston area eyelid surgery patients love the way they look afterwards. This procedure eliminates excess tissue around the eyes that can cause drooping eyelids and dark circles under the eyes. By eliminating drooping eyelids and dark circles, the face suddenly looks much more youthful and energized. Because eyes are such a central part of the face, making this one change to the eyes can actually have a significant and positive impact on the overall look of the face.
If you’re interested in eyelid surgery, be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon such as Dr. Charles Polsen. With a well earned reputation for performing eyelid surgery in the Houston and Clear Lake, TX area, Dr. Polsen is among the best eyelid surgeons in the area. Contact us today to schedule a confidential consultation and begin your transformation!