For any number of reasons (aging, weight loss, pregnancy) your breasts can “droop” and begin to sag. Usually, over time, the ligaments that support the breasts simply wear out. This can contribute to an overall appearance that is older than you feel. Restoring your breasts to a more youthful position is a decision many women make, and in some cases may be an alternative to breast augmentation procedures. Once finished, the procedure will leave you looking more youthful overall.
Electing for a Breast Lift is not a decision to take lightly, and it’s not something you should do at the request of a family member or loved one. If you’re considering a breast lift, Dr. Polsen would like to confidentially consult with you about the procedure. Contact us online or call our Clear Lake office line at (281) 538-6600 to schedule a one-on-one consultation.
- Designed to correct drooping breasts caused by gravity and aging
- Can make your breasts look perkier, leading to a more youthful overall appearance
- Recovery: 1-3 weeks
Who is a Good Candidate?
There are many types of women who may benefit from a breast lift. If you have sagging breasts due to a recent major weight loss, breast feeding, or aging, you may be a good candidate for a breast lift procedure. Good Candidates for a Breast lift are usually looking to address the following:
- Sagging or drooping breasts
- Loss of volume in the breasts
- Loss of perkiness in the breasts
- Distorted orientation of the breasts
- Loss of firmness in one or both of the breasts
- Breasts that have become pendulous
Size is factor when it comes to breast lift procedures. In fact, size matters in two ways: the size of the breasts currently and the size of the desired final result. Deflated breasts may, for example, require the addition of a breast implant in order to generate the desired final results. Women with naturally larger breasts may notice that, over a long period of time, results might wane as gravity asserts itself (it’s worth noting that this process could take years or decades).
The best way to determine if you are a good candidate for a breast lift procedure is to talk to a surgeon, such as Houston area plastic surgeon Dr. Charles Polsen. Contact South Shore Plastic Surgery today to schedule a confidential consultation and get all of your questions answered!
The Breast Lift Procedure
Breast lift options in Clear Lake, TX, generally depend on the degree of correction needed. Dr. Polsen will work with you to make sure that your individualized surgery gives you the final results you desire. Breast lift surgery typically lifts and reshapes the breast tissue, which also repositions the nipple. Breast lifts are usually performed with general anesthesia. However, if less of a lift is required they can sometimes be performed under local anesthesia. You can also expect that any excess, stretched skin will be eliminated during surgery.
Breast Lift Techniques
There are several incision options available to patients, each with its own advantages and drawbacks. Dr. Polsen will help you select the technique most likely to generate your unique desired final results. Those incision techniques include:
- ”Anchor” Incision: This incision technique is one that, well, looks a bit like an anchor. The incision movies in a circle around the areola, then down to the crease of the breast. This particular incision type is most common for breast lift procedures with a breast reduction. In other words, an anchor lift is used for patients who need the most “lift” possible.
- Periareolar Incision: For patients with pronounced sagging, the Periareolar technique is sometimes used. When using a Periareolar technique, the incision will be made around the areola. In some cases, a breast implant may also be inserted through this incision (although this depends on the desired final results of the patient).
- ”Crescent” lift: In cases where less lift is required, surgeons may use what is known as a “crescent lift.” This incision is made around the top half of the areola, after which a crescent-shaped section of excess skin is removed. In general, patients looking for a significant amount of lift will need to pair this with a breast augmentation procedure.
The “best” technique for you will depend on your desired final results, as well as the current size and shape of your breasts.
Dr. Polsen will work with you to determine the degree of lift and whether you would like implants to replace volume that may have been lost because of weight loss or pregnancy. The incision is made around the areola to help obscure scars. The procedure is designed so that the nipple remains connected to internal tissues and nerves, and therefore is more likely to maintain a good deal of nipple sensitivity after the procedure (though it should be noted that 15% of women do lose some sensitivity).
Some bruising and swelling is a normal part of the recovery process from a breast lift. Your breast lift recovery will vary depending on whether or not you also received breast implants. Dr. Polsen will provide you with detailed care instructions for your breast surgery recovery. In many cases, patients will be instructed to wear compression garments or will have drains put in place to temper swelling. You will also likely need to sleep on your back to ensure that no undue pressure is placed on the breasts (compromising your results).
Depending on your specific procedure, you may be able to return to work within a week following their surgery. Dr. Polsen will help you to determine when returning to all normal activity is appropriate. Your recovery instructions are designed to maximize your comfort as well as safeguard your results. It’s therefore vital that all patients follow these instructions diligently.
Breast Lift Results and Benefits
After roughly six weeks or so, you should be (generally) “officially” recovered. You will notice that your breasts will be perkier and will sit higher on your chest. The nipple will be oriented in a more youthful direction (generally facing in a horizontal direction rather than a vertical direction).
Your breasts will also be more likely to support themselves, drooping less and remaining more buoyant. Many of our patients report a significant number of benefits associated with their breast lift results. Those benefits include:
- Clothing that fits better
- Increased confidence
- Increased self-esteem
- Breasts that are perkier and more youthful looking
- Improved overall breast shape
- Long lasting, effectively permanent results
- An increase in breast size (if augmentation is undertaken as well)
The benefits of this procedure tend to feel quite personal to many of our patients. If you want to know what a breast lift can do for you, the best place to find answers in the Houston area is from a highly qualified plastic surgeon, such as Dr. Polsen.
Contact us today to get started with a consultation, during which we will discuss your desired results and the best way to accomplish your transformation.